"Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them."
- Arnold Lobel


ABOUT

Every Tuesday is Book Review Day, where I review and recommend a children's book.

Every Wednesday is Wise Owl Wednesday, where you can butter up your brain with some children's literature facts - history, milestones, trivia ... stop by here to learn a little something about the amazing world of books for the young!

Every Thursday is Literacy Tip Day, where I offer literacy suggestions for your children based upon my teaching and parenting experience.



Keep cozy this fall with a good book!

30 April 2010

Literacy Tip #2 - Repetition, Repetition, Repetition!


We all have that book we've read to our children again, again, and...oh, yeah - AGAIN!!

Turns out, our children (as always) have hit the nail right on the head! Repetition is absolutely key to children in the reading realm, particularly infants and toddlers.  Hearing familiar words read over and over again creates new neural pathways in a child's little brain, especially when those words are read to him or her in a book they love while sitting in your lap.  Basically, this situation is the "perfect storm" for learning!!!!

So, go ahead and let your awesome little one hand you Goodnight Moon for the thousandth time - your child will reap countless benefits, and you will relish in the fact that learning and loving are happening at the same time!

Some of my children's faves:
Two Little TrainsTwo Little Trains by Margaret Wise Brown (author of Goodnight Moon)


 The Going-To-Bed BookThe Going-To-Bed Book by Sandra Boynton

Mother, May I? Mother, May I? by Grace Maccarone

Winter Friends Winter Friends by Carl R. Sams and Jean Stoick





2 comments:

Happy Birthday Author said...

My son loves I Stink by Kate and Jim McMullan. My daughter loves Abiyoyo by Pete Seeger. We have read them hundreds of times.

I agree that repetition builds a foundation for reading.

The1stdaughter said...

Mother, May I? is such a great book, well all of your picks look fantastic! It's funny how something that seems so insignificant to us at the time can make such a difference to children. Reading over and over, the same books can be so tedious, but you can just see their little brains working to absorb it all. And really, what's better than that eager happy face bringing you their favorite book? Makes up for the repetition most of the time!

Lovely site by the way! And great posts! I can't wait to read more! Thank you so much for adding my little button to your site. Believe it or not...you're the first one I've seen it on! I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw it. You made my day! Thank you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails