"Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them."
- Arnold Lobel


ABOUT

Every Tuesday is Book Review Day, where I review and recommend a children's book.

Every Wednesday is Wise Owl Wednesday, where you can butter up your brain with some children's literature facts - history, milestones, trivia ... stop by here to learn a little something about the amazing world of books for the young!

Every Thursday is Literacy Tip Day, where I offer literacy suggestions for your children based upon my teaching and parenting experience.



Keep cozy this fall with a good book!

08 September 2010

Wise Owl Wednesday #1 :: History of Censorship :: Part One


Graphic credit :: Shabby Blogs

** Welcome to my new weekly feature, Wise Owl Wednesday, where you can butter up your brain with some children's literature facts - history, milestones, trivia ... stop by here to learn a little something about the amazing world of books for the young! **


www.ala.org/bbooks
In honor of the upcoming Banned Books Week (Sept. 25 - Oct. 2, 2010), I thought I would share the history of literary censorship.  I hope you find it as interesting as I did!!

Milestones in the History of Censorship (Part One):

411 B.C. - Works of Protagoras were burned in Athens.
387 B.C. - Plato suggested censorship of Homer's The Odyssey for young readers.
168 B.C. - Jewish library in Jerusalem was ravished during the Maccabean uprising.
1st century - Augustus exiled poets and banned their works.
A.D. 303 - Diocletian condemned and burned all Christian books.

Source:  Through the Eyes of A Child: An Introduction to Children's Literature (5th Edition) by Donna E. Norton, copyright 1999 by Prentice-Hall, Inc.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails