"Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them."
- Arnold Lobel


ABOUT

Every Tuesday is Book Review Day, where I review and recommend a children's book.

Every Wednesday is Wise Owl Wednesday, where you can butter up your brain with some children's literature facts - history, milestones, trivia ... stop by here to learn a little something about the amazing world of books for the young!

Every Thursday is Literacy Tip Day, where I offer literacy suggestions for your children based upon my teaching and parenting experience.



Keep cozy this fall with a good book!

14 July 2010

Mystery Friend Friday :: Meet Lemony Snicket ::


The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1)

The moment I began reading The Bad Beginning several years ago, I knew I was absolutely hooked on this series.  Mr. Snicket's sarcastic tone had me laughing out loud from the beginning to the end of The Series of Unfortunate Events.

 The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 13)


Here is a bit about Mr. Snicket, as written on his website:
 
"Lemony Snicket was born before you were, and is likely to die before you as well. His family has roots in a part of the country which is now underwater, and his childhood was spent in the relative splendor of the Snicket Villa which has since become a factory, a fortress and a pharmacy and is now, alas, someone else's villa. To the untrained eye, Mr. Snicket's hometown would not appear to be filled with secrets. Untrained eyes have been wrong before."


Besides the wildly popular series about the Baudelaire children, here are some other works by Mr. Snicket:


The Lump of CoalThe Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming: A Christmas StoryThe Beatrice Letters (A Series of Unfortunate Events)The Composer Is Dead (Book & CD)Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid


And coming in October 2010 ...

13 Words


You can stay updated on Mr. Snicket and his work by visiting his website.  Even though he would discourage visitors, I highly recommend you give it a look.

And, now, signing off in the spirit of Mr. Snicket ...

May you have the most pleasant day possible in these days of great unpleasantness,



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails