"Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them."
- Arnold Lobel


ABOUT

Every Tuesday is Book Review Day, where I review and recommend a children's book.

Every Wednesday is Wise Owl Wednesday, where you can butter up your brain with some children's literature facts - history, milestones, trivia ... stop by here to learn a little something about the amazing world of books for the young!

Every Thursday is Literacy Tip Day, where I offer literacy suggestions for your children based upon my teaching and parenting experience.



Keep cozy this fall with a good book!

16 July 2010

Friday Book Blogger Hop :: The Book I Need to Get My Hands On...NOW!!!

Book Blogger Hop

This week's question for the Friday Book Blogger Hop is:  RIGHT THIS INSTANT, WHAT BOOK ARE YOU DYING TO GET YOUR HANDS ON (PAST, PRESENT, OR FUTURE)?

And my answer is ...

The Shadows
by Jacqueline West

The Shadows (The Books of Elsewhere, Vol. 1)


Description from Indiebound.org:  Old Ms. McMartin is definitely dead. Now her crumbling Victorian mansion lies vacant. When eleven-year-old Olive and her dippy mathematician parents move in, she knows there's something odd about the place--not least the walls covered in strange antique paintings. But when Olive finds a pair of old spectacles in a dusty drawer, she discovers the most peculiar thing yet: She can travel inside these paintings to a world that's strangely quiet . . . and eerily like her own Yet Elsewhere harbors dark secrets--and Morton, an undersized boy with an outsize[d] temper.

As she and Morton form an uneasy alliance, Olive finds herself ensnared in a plan darker and more dangerous than she could have imagined, confronting a power that wants to be rid of her by any means necessary. It's up to Olive to save the house from the dark shadows, before the lights go out for good.

Mary Elizabeth's Musings:  I found this children's mystery through IndieBound.org just yesterday! While I am not familiar with this author, the story's introdcution sure has me hooked on this book already!! From the description above, it sounds a bit Coraline-esque with a smidgen of Chasing Vermeer and the Spiderwick Chronicles thrown in the mix ... I will be racing to the library today to snag a copy!!!

2 comments:

Black Disaster Fairy said...

Hop Hop Hop Hopping Reading!

Stopping by to say hi *waves*

I love the peanuts cartoon! LOL!

Twisted

http://literarydaydreams.blogspot.com
Personal Book Blog

http://ikissbooks.blogspot.com
Group Book Blog

Readaholics said...

Hey you, just following on the hop and the Friday Follow. Great site. Come visit me.
See ya!

Related Posts with Thumbnails