"Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them."
- Arnold Lobel


ABOUT

Every Tuesday is Book Review Day, where I review and recommend a children's book.

Every Wednesday is Wise Owl Wednesday, where you can butter up your brain with some children's literature facts - history, milestones, trivia ... stop by here to learn a little something about the amazing world of books for the young!

Every Thursday is Literacy Tip Day, where I offer literacy suggestions for your children based upon my teaching and parenting experience.



Keep cozy this fall with a good book!

12 July 2010

Nonfiction Monday #1 :: Insect Detective by Steve Voake

Visit Abby the Librarian to link up and find some quality non-fiction!!


:: This is part of a post originally published here on June 22, 2010 ::


Insect Detective

Insect Detective
Written by Steve Voake
Illustrated by Charlotte Voake
Published by Candlewick Press
First U.S. Edition 2010


"Lift up a stone and you might see an earwig scuttle out.  They like to hide in the damp and the dark.  The pincers on the tips of their abdomens make them look kind of scary, but don't worry - they're completely harmless."


Publisher's Summary:  Right now, all around you, thousands of insects are doing strange and wonderful things:  wasps are building their nests, ants are collecting food, and dragonflies are readying for the hunt.  But it's not always so easy to catch sight of these six-legged creatures...Become an insect detective and find out just what the insects around you are up to!

Mary Elizabeth's Musings:  I must say that I am quite smitten with this book! Its watercolor illustrations pair beautifully with the rich prose, which is filled with exceptionally interesting insect facts.  Giving children practical tips of finding and observing the world of insects around them, the author conveys a quiet message of respect for insects and their place in the ecosystem.  Quite simply, this informative non-fiction book reads as smoothly as any children's fiction book.  You will find it as fascinating as your child surely will!

Why I Recommend This Book:  This gem of a book will encourage your child to observe the intricacies of the natural world right in their own backyard! After finishing this exceptional book, your child will be armed with the knowledge of how to unobtrusively explore the world of insects ... and he or she will be eager to do so as soon as you reach the back cover! I tremendously enjoyed this book - do yourself and your child a favor by grabbing it from your local library today!

Recommended for ages 5 - 9 years.



1 comment:

Nicole said...

Hello! Just a note to let you know I’ve awarded you the ‘One Lovely Blog’ award. Pop over to my blog to collect it. You’ll see a little blurb as to what I love about your blog too, I hope it makes you smile ; )

Related Posts with Thumbnails